Sunday, November 15, 2009

more stripping sanding and deconstruction...

November 15, 2009


Today was way more mellow, I headed over to Lowes to pick up a few products I needed to finish my wood restoration. The first product is called Naptha it’s a solvent that you can cut varnish down with. When varnishing less is more, I promise, take your time and let coat fully dry before sanding and adding additional coats. Complete instruction on the best ways to restore wood can be found here…http://www.thewoodshop.20m.com/finishing.htm

I went with finish # 1 and I have to say the end product is a mirror…and beautiful…very pleased indeed. It does take time and I have been putting coat after coat on for a couple days now. Between each coat I have taken knock down with 000 steel wool.

I also went and picked up upholstery supplies I was missing, this rang up another $100. I bought an electric stapler, stables, new scissors, welting cord, needles, tread, the varnish items above etc.

Cushion disassembly

I also started taking apart the first chairs cushions, it goes really fast, a standard office staple puller will work but I added the power of needle nose pliers. As I stripped each cushion I was care to mark and bag them. Don’t throw these out they are your templates for your new cushions!!! I was also pretty surprised at the layers of nasty dirt etc that was under the welting, all I can say is YUK. The foam however was in amazingly good condition. No spills, cat piss etc. I am considering reusing them because honestly why not. If they had smell or been messed up by spills I would have definitely changed them out.

Everything disassembled by the numbers see pics for details. My only issue now is the arm cushions. I don’t feel like buying a leather sowing machine so I think these are destined for the Upholstery shop here in town. They seem simple enough in terms of construction but you need the machine for sure….

That’s it for today…

No comments:

Post a Comment