Sunday, November 22, 2009

That's a RAP!

November 22, 2009

That’s a rap but a new project is on its way…

Well I did end up with the winning bid on yet another lounge chair. This is a vintage 1950's "Mr Chair" with matching ottoman designed by George Mulhauser for Plycraft. Its coming in from Chicago and I should have it in a few days. Its due for the full treatment as I did with these chairs. I over bought material for these two chairs so I should have enough leather left to restore this new chair.

So today I rapped up the second chair, finished upholstery work and reassembled it.

All things considered both chairs came out really nice. A couple notes on what I would do differently next time. I would definitely make my own welting next time, it was a pain in the ass using the small stuff. I would also consider putting fabric on the backs of the inner shell for a more refined upholstery job. But I restored to spec of what was there. Both chairs look a million times better than when I found them.

As for a breakdown of time here it goes;

Disassembly = 1 hour

Stripping/Sanding = 4 hours

Refinishing Ply = 8 hours (4 coats on each)

Waxjob = 1 hour

Upholstery = 6 hours

Reassembly = 1 hour

So roughly 20 hours of work and $200 each chair brought this back to life…

4 comments:

  1. wow. this is fantastic! i just bought a Jr. Mr Chair in really bad shape at an estate sale and this blog is exactly what i need for instructions and encouragement. thanks! and please keep posting your progress on your new (to you) Mr Chair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice and useful blog.I am very impressed from your blog.I will share your blog with my friends .Thanks for sharing and keep it up.
    Barcelona Chair

    ReplyDelete
  3. What auction house in Chicago did you use to acquire the lounge chair? Do you have any other recommendations to find eames/plycraft/selig lounge chairs?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just got the same chair from an antique store and the leather is in terrible shape so I am looking to do the same thing. can anyone tell me how much fabric I need to purchase to recover?

    ReplyDelete